19 April 2015

Transitioning To A Big Kid Bed

Hi Friends! I wanted to share with you one of my most popular posts from last year. I updated it a little and hope you all find it helpful.
 
 
 
Well, Ryder is officially out of the crib and sleeping in a big bed! And it was actually surprisingly easy. I thought it would be a hard adjustment because we also put him in a whole different room. It's a big relief checking this off my huge to do list before baby #2 makes his arrival in just a few short months. 
We ended up buying a twin bed instead of a toddler bed so he can sleep in it for a long time. Instead of big bulky rails we gotMagic Bumpers Portable Child Bed Safety Guard Rail (two-part) 48 Inch - Set of TWO Bedrails (24" x 4)
  from Amazon and we love them! They just go under the sheets and do not move. They prevent Ryder from rolling off the bed but he can also climb over them to get in and out. Plus they look so much better than those big rails! I plan on doing a post on his room when it's all finished so keep an eye out!
The first night I thought would be the hardest but he ended up falling right to sleep and didn't get up at all during the night. When he woke up the next morning he just laid in bed and called "mama!" The next night was a little harder, he climbed out a few times before falling asleep but it wasn't bad at all. The hardest thing I'm finding with the new bed is he wants me to lay with him until he falls asleep, but other than that it is going really smooth. Ryder also rarely naps {I know....crazy right??} so the new bed didn't really effect that. 





Here are a few tips that I found helpful during our transition. 




,


1. Let them help pick out the bed or bedding: We took a day and went and looked at beds with Ryder. He got to sit on the beds and help us pick one out. We let him know that it was his and made it exciting for him. 

2. Sleep only: Once we got his new bed set up, we let him sit and explore on it but we also made it clear that his bed was for sleeping only. That way he knows when I lay him down that it's time to sleep, not to play. 

3. Transition when you have plenty of time: It is expected that they will get out of their bed and there will be some nights that you will have to go lay them down a hundred times. So make sure you do it on a weekend or when you know you have time to stay up a little later than normal. Nobody wants to get up early for work after a long night of toddler wrangling. 

4. Be consistent & stick to a routine: Pick a day when you will start the transition and never look back! It will only confuse them if you go back and forth between a crib and a big bed. Don't give up even if you are up all night with them. The first few nights are the hardest but they learn fast and will soon understand that this is where they now sleep. We also don't let Ryder sleep in our bed. We found the transition easier because he has one set place to sleep. He knows that if he gets out of bed and comes in our room we will just take him back to his bed. Co-sleeping works for some people, just not us. 
Sticking to a routine is important. Because we do it every night Ryder knows that after some milk, a warm bath, and reading some books that it's time for bed. Obviously life gets busy and some nights are different, but he still knows the basics of preparing for bed and I believe it helps with bedtime. 

5. Let them know they did good: When they wake up let them know that you are proud of them for doing so good. I made the following morning a big deal when I greeted him in his room. He had a big smile on his face and knew he did good. 











Now obviously I'm not an expert and all kids are different, but this is what we found helpful and I hope you do too!
 
 
 

23 comments:

  1. My son is 18 months and I had to turn his crib around so the front faces the wall cause he will climb out of it! The back of the crib goes up higher so he can't climb it. I have been debating whether or not to switch to a big boy bed or just wait until he is a little older. When he wakes up in the morning, he cries instead of waking up happy! Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally try a big bed! Ryder never climbed out of his crib so I was worried I was doing it too early but it was surprisingly easy. Ryder wakes up grumpy 90% of the time too. He wants milk right when he gets out of bed and if he doesn't get it he is pissed haha! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. My guy is the same way about milk and the grump factor. Did the transition change anything?

      Delete
    3. To be honest I think it actually did! I swear he gets a better night's sleep in his new bed and I've definitely noticed a change. There are some mornings that he is grumpy when he doesn't sleep well but other than that most mornings are now happy!

      Delete
  2. #2 is a great suggestion!! Cute bed and I'm going to check out those bumpers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think #2 is very important! And definitely check out the bumpers we love them. It reminds me of a big changing pad :)

      Delete
  3. I just read this last night and then this morning my 21 mo old crawled out of his crib!! BIG BOY BED coming up! Reading your post tho is encouraging so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes a big boy bed for him soon for sure! Ryder never crawled out of his crib so I was worried I was doing it too early but it was surprisingly easy. Good luck keep me updated with it!

      Delete
  4. I found your link in the comments from Wifessional's transition series; we are doing the same "new room, big bed" with our daughter before baby sister arrives in July and Im soaking up all the information I can! Thanks for having such a parallel experience that I can glean from :)
    Whitney @ work-it-mommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Whitney! I hope you found my post helpful! I was really nervous about switching rooms and doing a big kid bed all at the same time but it actually went really smooth! And like you I wanted to do it before the baby came for sure :) good luck with the transition!!

      Delete
  5. How old was Ryder when you moved him into the big bed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are getting into big boy bed now. We are having trouble on deciding on whether to do a full bed or a twin bed. Did y'all have that issue??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We decided against a full size big because we thought it was just too big. We didn't want it to intimidate him going from a tiny crib to a huge bed. The twin size is perfect and he'll have plenty of room to grow. Good luck with the transitioning your babe I hope it goes well and thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  7. Did the twin size fitted sheet fit over bumpers or did you have to get a full size sheet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did the twin size fitted sheet fit over bumpers or did you have to get a full size sheet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twin! It has to fit tight over them to make the bumpers don't move so make sure you get w twin :)

      Delete
  9. Is 13 months too young to make the switch?? My littke guy only gets in bed for nap and at night for bed and hardly moves around in his sleep. Any thoughts?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a little young but if you think they will understand the concept then go for it! I know some moms will transition them young because they keep climbing out of the crib so it's totally possible! :) you should let me know how it goes when you do it! Good luck I bet you'll be surprised at how easy it is.

      Delete
    2. Okay so I just wanted to give a report, we are on our 3rd night in the todler bed and he has gone to bed all 3 nights by himself WITHOUT getting up ONCE!!!! He will be 13 months on the 1st and he loves his bed

      Delete
    3. Ah that is so good to hear!! I'm glad you had an easy transition! You'll be so glad to have it out of the way, the longer you wait the harder it is. Thanks for updating me I'm so glad it worked out!

      Delete
  10. This is a great post about kid bed. Thank for share it here! beds for kids review

    ReplyDelete
  11. #2 is a great suggestion!! Cute bed and I'm going to check out those bumpers!
    baby wraps reviews

    ReplyDelete